Wednesday 23 May 2012

Charity Collection


So when we landed in Sydney we had approximately $500 between us – for a year- this is very bad times.  So we joined TAW (Travellers At Work) and applied for every job under the sun I heard back from the first job within the hour and then from another later in the day. So off I popped to the tacky Chinese shop to buy an interview outfit; a black dress – blazer and shoes. We are now down to $450 this had better be worth it!!

So interview number 1 The Green Guys Group – it’s my first meeting with Ben, he asks me some sales questions – I give good answers – I get the job. I hot foot it across town to Zest Marketing. Now I was really excited about this job as I studied Marketing and they were asking for an Account Exec. This was an extremely miss leading job title to say the least. There is me and another girl in the interview room – both in high heels. We get chatting and find out that we are both backpackers – her name is Hope.

In comes a man in shirt and tie – he has the crazy eyes, but I let this go. He starts asking us if we drink and what are strong points are, not two questions that usually go together but OK! 

He then asks us to walk with him down to Central Station with him as that is where his team is working. This is not sounding too much like an interview for an Account Exec. So I and Hope follow this man with the crazy eyes down to Central Station – a 15 min walk in heels. On the way my concerns that this may be a crazy man are confirmed when he is laughing wildly at his own jokes and making some odd noises in general. Then I realise what this is.


Earlier in the day I was cornered by a group of charity collectors asking for my bank details. I brushed them off saying that I had a job interview, unbeknownst to me, this was my job interview – cringe. So we arrive and say hello to said charity collectors and are then handed two red T-Shirts to put on over our LBD’s WTF. I politely refused he then went on to say can I handle a 99% rejection rate – I didn’t answer ( I was contemplating my best exit strategy) I asked Hope what she thought – it was written all over her face – we needed to get the fuck outta there. I suggested that we go to the pub – she agreed and we scuttled away. We then spent the rest of the afternoon depleting my funds further- but I did get job number one so I don’t care.


No comments:

Post a Comment